There are a few different options to slow down the growth of gastric cancer, including:
- Traditional Therapy
- Radiation therapy uses high energy rays to kill or shrink cancer cells.
- Chemotherapy uses chemicals or drugs to destroy cancer cells.
- Targeted Therapy: Targets cells with specific proteins (such as the HER2+ receptors) for treatment.
- Surgical Removal: Depending on the cancer location, the surgeon may remove the whole stomach or only the part that has the cancer.
What Should I Discuss with My Healthcare Provider?
- What can I do to decrease my chances of getting stomach cancer?
- How do you check for stomach cancer?
- How often should I have checkups?
- Is my cancer HER2+?
- What stage is my stomach cancer?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are some possible side effects of treatments?